Close Menu
    ME Daily Mail: The Middle East, delivered daily.ME Daily Mail: The Middle East, delivered daily.
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    ME Daily Mail: The Middle East, delivered daily.ME Daily Mail: The Middle East, delivered daily.
    Home » Albanian government severs diplomatic ties with Iran after July cyberattacks
    News

    Albanian government severs diplomatic ties with Iran after July cyberattacks

    September 8, 2022
    Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Tumblr Email Reddit VKontakte

    Albania has cut diplomatic ties with Iran and expelled its embassy staff. This is because of an alleged cyberattack carried out by Tehran on Albanian government websites nearly two months ago, Prime Minister Zoran Zaev said. A country cutting diplomatic ties over a cyberattack was the first known instance of a country taking such action. In response to what it called a troubling precedent in cyberspace, the White House threatened unspecified retaliation against Iran.

    Albanian government severs diplomatic ties with Iran after July cyberattacksAccording to a White House statement, the White House has been helping Albania for weeks and has concluded that Iran was behind the “reckless and irresponsible” attack and the subsequent hack-and-leak operation according to the AP. Prime Minister Edi Rama announced the government’s decision in an official note to the Iranian Embassy in Tirana, the capital. Staff members of the embassy, including diplomats and security personnel, have been ordered to leave Albania within 24 hours.

    Albanian government websites and digital services were temporarily unavailable due to a cyberattack on July 15. He called the cyberattack “state aggression,” stating that it wasn’t carried out by individuals or independent groups. “The deep investigation provided undeniable evidence that the cyberattack against our country was orchestrated and sponsored by the Islamic Republic of Iran, involving four groups,” Rama said in a video statement.

    According to Iranian state television, Iran condemned the expulsion of the diplomats as ill-considered and short-sighted. Iranian Foreign Ministry denied Tehran was behind any cyberattack on Albanian government websites, adding Iran is the target of such attacks on its critical infrastructure.

    TIRANA said it was working with Microsoft and the FBI to investigate the cyberattack. Last month, Mandiant, a leading U.S. cybersecurity firm, expressed “moderate confidence” that the attackers were supporting Tehran’s anti-dissident campaign. Using ransomware, a group calling itself “HomeLand Justice” claimed responsibility for the cyberattack. While ransomware is best known for its use in criminal extortion, it is also increasingly used for political purposes, particularly by Iran.

    In a Telegram channel, “HomeLand Justice” posted documents purporting to be Albanian residency permits of members of the Iranian opposition group Mujahedeen-e-Khalq – better known as MEK – along with a video showing the ransomware in action. Using hashtags such as #Manez, the channel accused the Albanian government of corruption. Ashraf 3 camp in Manez, which is 30 kilometers (19 miles) west of Tirana, is home to about 3,000 Iranian MEK dissidents.

    Related Posts

    Ebola Crisis in DRC Reaches New High with 2,325 Fatalities, Outbreak Sets Record

    August 17, 2026

    Seismic Shift in Gilgit-Baltistan, Magnitude 5.4 Earthquake Strikes Near Sost

    August 14, 2026

    International Youth Day 2026 Highlights Youth Engagement and Development, Calls for Greater Inclusion

    August 13, 2026

    Youth Addiction Cases Continue to Advance as Meta and TikTok Lose Legal Challenges

    August 12, 2026

    Inland Shift of Typhoon Dolphin After Large-Scale Evacuations in China

    August 11, 2026

    Alaska Near Atka Shakes with Magnitude 5.0 Tremor, Seismologists Report

    August 10, 2026
    Latest News

    DRC Sees Near 30,000 Deaths from Malaria After 26 Million Cases, New Data

    August 17, 2026

    In 2025, the Democratic Republic of the Congo documented 26,064,143 malaria infections, with 29,938 fatalities. The Ituri province launched a large-scale treatment initiative, targeting regions with high malaria prevalence. The campaign aims to reduce malaria cases and improve early detection. The DRC remains among the countries with the highest malaria burden globally, contributing to 11.7% of all malaria deaths in Africa. The R21 vaccine was introduced in 2024 to further enhance malaria prevention efforts, with the initial phase targeting children in Kongo Central.

    Ebola Crisis in DRC Reaches New High with 2,325 Fatalities, Outbreak Sets Record

    August 17, 2026

    Gold Faces Weekly Decline, Influenced by US Inflation Data | Market Weakness Extends to Precious Metals

    August 15, 2026

    Congo’s Ebola Crisis Approaching Record-Breaking Fatalities, Experts Warn

    August 15, 2026

    Europe Leads July Growth as Global EV Sales Rise by 9%

    August 14, 2026

    South Korea Achieves Record Car Export Value of $6.24 Billion in July, Boosted by Eco-Friendly Models

    August 14, 2026

    Seismic Shift in Gilgit-Baltistan, Magnitude 5.4 Earthquake Strikes Near Sost

    August 14, 2026

    Gothenburg Gains Direct Nonstop Flights from Abu Dhabi, Etihad Launches Seasonal Service

    August 13, 2026
    © 2026 ME Daily Mail | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.